American Legion Auxiliary,
Department of Rhode Island
Ida Barrington Memorial Scholarship Application
1. Applicants for this scholarship shall be Junior Members of the American Legion Auxiliary for the past three years and must now hold a membership card for the year 2023 Applicant must continue her membership in the American Legion Auxiliary during the scholarship period.
2. Applicants must be in their senior year of an accredited high school.
3. This is a SCHOLARSHIP to attend an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants must be of good character and have grades which meet entrance requirements at the institution of their choice. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA using a 4.0 base.
4. Participation in this scholarship program shall be on a voluntary basis in all Units within the Department of Rhode Island.
5. Each applicant must present the completed application packet to her own Unit President on or before May 30, 2023.
6. No Unit may enter more than one applicant in the Department competition.
7. The winning entry for each Unit shall be certified by the American Legion Auxiliary Unit President or Secretary and mailed to the Department Education Chairman, , on or before June 1 2023.
8. Judging shall be on the following basis:
THE DECISION OF THE JUDGES SHALL BE FINAL.
9. The award will be paid directly to the college upon notification of the applicant’s enrollment.
APPLICATION PACKET REQUIREMENTS
1. Completed application form for the Ida Barrington Memorial Scholarship for Junior Members.
2. The following FOUR letters of recommendation are required:
a. One letter from either the principal or guidance counselor of the school from which the applicant will graduate; to include size of class and student’s position in the class, and the cumulative grade point average.
b. One letter from a clergy of the applicant’s choice.
c. Two letters from adult citizens, other than relatives, attesting to the applicant’s character in regard to conduct, citizenship and leadership.
3. An original essay consisting of no more than 1,000 words (typed, double-spaced). The title of the essay will be “What My Country’s Flag Means to Me.”
4. A certified transcript of the high school grades of the applicant.
5. A copy of ACT or SAT scores.
EACH UNIT WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR VERIFYING ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION IN THE APPLICANT’S PACKET.
AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY
IDA BARRINGTON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
1. Name of Applicant: _____________________________________________________________________ ADDRESS: ______________________________________________________________________
DATE OF BIRTH: _______________________________________________________________________
ENROLLMENT DATE IN AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY: ________________________________________
2. NAME OF VETERAN THROUGH WHOM APPLICANT IS ELIGIBLE: _________________________________
RELATIONSHIP TO VETERAN: _____________________________________________________________
LIVING? _________________________ DECEASED? ____________________________
3. PROPOSED DATE OF GRADUATION: _______________________________________________________
4. NAME OF COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY YOU HOPE TO ATTEND: ______________________________________
Print or Type Full Name Signature of Applicant
Telephone # __________________________________ Date:_____________________________________
a. Why would receiving this scholarship be important to you? Please explain:
b. What course of study do you plan to pursue and why?
c. Describe your involvement in school, church and community activities. Use attachment, if necessary:
d. Why do you think the American Legion Auxiliary is important to the world today.
NOTE: PLEASE BE SURE TO ATTACH OTHER REQUIRED MATERIALS TO THIS APPLICATION AND SUBMIT TO THE
PRESIDENT OF THE AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY UNIT IN WHICH YOUR MEMBERSHIP IS RECORDED, NO LATER THAN
THIS PORTION TO BE COMPLETED BY THE SPONSORING UNIT
The winning entry of each Unit shall be certified by the Unit President or Secretary and mailed to the Department Chairman, Ms. Cynthia Barrington101 Aurora Drive Warwick, Rhode Island 02893 ON/OR BEFORE June 1,2023.
Unit Name & Number Signature of Unit President or Secretary